Curb Appeal

Now that I have finished stripping both sides of the forms, I have to say I am quite pleased at how well the top curb turned out using the Roxul ComfortBoard IS inserts.  They did not compress at all and created very nice pockets that will allow their re-insertion once the foundation has been waterproofed.

Once again, these inserts are to allow the thicker thermal barrier to start slightly below grade to prevent thermal bridging.  Most houses have very little sub grade insulation which is OK below the frost line but represents a high heat loss potential as the foundation wall approaches and projects above grade.  I have designed this dwelling with a R30 effective wall assembly and am carrying this level of insulation down below grade about 18″.

Heaver thermal blanket extends down below frost line to prevent thermal bridging through the top of the foundation

Heaver thermal blanket extends down below frost line to prevent thermal bridging through the top of the foundation

I used the contractors table saw to cut the panels.  I would not recommend this unless you are outside, and are wearing a very good quality face mask, and eye protection.  It did throw up a lot of ‘shrapnel’  but it made a really clean and fast cut.

I cut the Roxul panels on the table saw.

I cut the Roxul panels on the table saw.

This stack took about 3 minutes to cut on teh table saw.

This stack took about 2 minutes to cut on the table saw.

I then used fishing line to secure them to the outside plywood form panels.  The outboard Roxul panel sat directly on the top of the last ICF row and the inboard shorter panel was suspended using the fishing line. I used fishing line because it is cheap and easy.

Most of the house had two layers of 2" Mineral Wool

Most of the house had two layers of 2″ Mineral Wool

Shorter inboard Roxul panel secured with fishing line.

Shorter inboard Roxul panel secured with fishing line. Whole assembly was wrapped in poly to prevent fouling from the concrete and aid on the insulation panels removal after pour.

End result was a thing of beauty!

End result was a thing of beauty! Grey pipe penetrations are for the tel/cable from the street and for the two foundation lab instrumentation wires to penetrate back into the interior of the dwelling where they will join the labyrinth of other wires heading back to the control centre.

This is the south wall.  The step down is for the door out of teh office which will have a sill that is flush with grade.  The rounded profiles was caused by the poly that I wrapped the Roxul with.  It adds a nice 'Art Deco' vibe.

This is the south wall. The step down is for the door out of the office, which will have a sill that is flush with grade. The rounded profiles was caused by the poly that I wrapped the Roxul with to aid in its removal after the pour (I will reuse the same panels and put back in place once foundation is waterproofed). It adds a nice ‘Art Deco’ vibe to the foundation top curb.

Garage only had one layer of Roxul Panel so it was a simpler forming.  The vert bars and hooked dowels will be embedded into the garage slab once poured.

Garage only had one layer of Roxul Panel so it was a simpler forming. The vert bars and hooked dowels will be embedded into the garage slab once poured.

Only mildly difficult part of removing forms was on the outboard side of the west wall.  The vertical supports were also used to splice the plywood sheets together (plywood was screwed to supports from inside the form).  This meant I could not remove the uprights until the form had been pealed off the foundation.  But this left the form and the insulation inserts dangling 12ft into the air.  Made for some great jungle gym antics to disassemble!

Only mildly difficult part of removing forms was on the outboard side of the west wall. The vertical supports were also used to splice the plywood sheets together (plywood was screwed to supports from inside the form). This meant I could not remove the uprights until the form had been pealed off the foundation. But this left the form and the insulation inserts dangling 12ft into the air. Made for some great jungle gym antics to disassemble!

Today saw the end of almost all of the form disassembly and stacking of the resulting wood.  Monday I will finish cleaning up the pit floor and hopefully will be able to get the gravel blown in on Tuesday.

All my forming wood is stacked away ready for the next use.

All my forming wood is stacked away ready for the next use.

At the end of the day, Blackberry had the right idea - it was time to soak in the sun and just enjoy!

At the end of the day, Blackberry had the right idea – it was time to soak in the sun and just enjoy!

Thanks for the visit.

 

This entry was posted in Project Journal. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.