Footings Continue

Yesterday I was only able to finish the jog in the footings by the NW corner and place one module on the North wall.  This was a disappointing effort brought on by a series of brain farts.

I was laying out the first of the legs of the jog and for some reason did not ensure that a corner block was lined up with a string line before securing it and the other blocks to the cross braces.  Problem was that one of the blocks was cut to fit so now it was too short. SO I undid everything and re-aligned and then cut some filler pieces to insert into the gap.  When I had this complete and all re-attached to the cross braces and started on the next leg, I realized I had aligned to the wrong string line!  The ICF block was lined up with the edge of the footing instead of the foundation line.  SO I had to undo everything yet again, and this time I took out the cut block and filler pieces and put in a full block and a small filler.  I was SO frustrated.

Then I was hoisting the first module for the North wall into place, I had forgotten to put the pads on the feet.  But when I re-lifted with Alfie, I somehow screwed up the joystick controls and ended up smacking the module with the bucket and sending it flying.  I had to lift the whole thing back to the I-Beam and reassemble as I had ripped off two feet and broken a corner of a block.  I was tired and hungry, as well as a bit dopey from the pain meds – and was clearly off my game.  The mistakes cost me about 2.5 hours and with the shorter day, I was well behind my goal of completing most of the North Wall.

Today I spent some time in the morning looking at door photos on line and deciding on a door design for the basement walkout (I will probably build my own door, sandwiching a 2″ slab of XPS between 2″ thick strips of T&G cedar that I will have milled out of the tree stump by the road).  I then designed the installation details around the ICF and exterior insulation. With these new details, I was able to calculate the exact dimensions for the opening required in the ICF wall and headed to site to translate that to the next module.

Once at site I secured the last module I placed last night and then build, placed and secured the next module that included the beginning of the cutout for the door (photos to come).  This all required the raising of the string lines as they were hitting the cross braces.  Again, not the progress I hoped for, but at least I did not do anything stupid today!

I had a reader ask about the adjustment feet and what happens when you do not have a multiple of 3ft on your dims.  Here is a series of photos to explain.

These adjustable feet from Fab-Form have been great.  They allow perfect alignment  of the ICF modules.  They adjust up and down using a hex bit in a driver.  I am finding that I am wearing some of the ft sockets out because I am driving on an angle (due to the 2x4 brace above) and reusing the feet over and over again.  I am going to look for a shorter hex bit and a universal adapter.

These adjustable feet from Fab-Form have been great. They allow perfect alignment of the ICF modules. They adjust up and down using a hex bit in a driver. I am finding that I am wearing some of the feet sockets out because I am driving on an angle (due to the 2×4 brace above) and reusing the feet over and over again. I am going to look for a shorter hex bit and a universal joint.

So you have a gap – here is what I do.

Step 1 - Secure blocks on both sides and measure gap.

Step 1 – Secure blocks on both sides and measure gap.

Step 2 - Cut side panels from a cut-off or broken block and insert and secure with screws

Step 2 – Cut side panels from a cut-off or broken block and insert and secure with screws.

Both filler panels in place and secured to 2x4 battens

Both filler panels in place and secured to 2×4 battens

I will secure bottom side once I put on the bag footing.

I will secure bottom side once I put on the bag footing.

'The Plan' - this was scribbled down during a boring seminar at the RCI conference last spring.  The plan has executed perfectly.

‘The Plan’ – this was scribbled down during a boring seminar at the RCI conference last spring. The plan has executed perfectly.

Ensure the corner blocks are perfectly lined up with string lines

Ensure the corner blocks are perfectly lined up with string lines

Thanks for visiting.

This entry was posted in Project Journal and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.