Wildest Dreams

Never in my wildest dreams would I have imagined how much work it is to put up a tarp this size.  I heavily under estimated the time to install.  I figured it would take the better part of a day.  One neighbour though a few hours, the other a couple of days.  Well, today has been 3-1/2 and I still have more to go.

It was very clear after the second day that the nylon rope was not going to cut it.  A piece that I had used to tie the edge of the tarp to the main cable, so the tarp would not slide down and bunch up on the cable – snapped.  I then started having problems with the ropes starting to fray as I was clamping to them to use the come-a-long to apply tension.  So yesterday I switch to galvanized aircraft cable.  I am using 1/8″, 3/16″, and 1/4″ depending on the length needed and what was available at the store.  Yesterday saw the 4 attachment points at the front finished.  Today I lowered the main overhead cable so I could repair that side edge restraint and then got to work on the back side of the tarp just after lunch.  After 5 hours I managed to rig one attachment point and prep for the second.  Now it was a significant attachment point that goes clear across my neighbours yard to a tree.  It is a 120ft run and I used the 1/4″ for this so I could really tension it.

Tomorrow I will run the second attachment point at the other side of the back end to about 80ft away to a tall cedar and again use the 1/4″.  This should leave just a minor middle of edge point that I will attach to the apply tree just to maintain height and prevent flapping.  Then I will need to retention the one near the street cam as the tarp shifted when I lowered the main line this morning. Hopefully by noon all will be complete and I will have this installation behind me.  I will also need to replace the cable to the shed cam that was damaged today when I raised up the back edge of the tarp.

One of the building inspectors (the one that I encountered with the security fence ordeal) drove slowly by today and had a good look.  Hopefully the fact that they did not stop and get out is a sign that they have nothing to say on the subject.  I certainly have not seen any rule or policy preventing this type of installation but then who knows.

I will try to remember to take a photo of the finished install tomorrow because the vastness of them overwhelms the web cams field of view.

Thanks for visiting.


This entry was posted in Project Journal. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.